Date Added: 08 March 2017
Our client is a leading provider of legal assistance to the local community in the beautiful regional location on the NSW - Victorian border. The Swan Hill region is home to everything that is wonderful in life. A region rich in culture, bathed in sunshine, blessed with a bounty of delicious local produce and home to great dining, wine and shopping.
This community practice provides a wide range of services to the communities of north-west Victoria and south-west New South Wales. Clients include people from disadvantaged backgrounds and in particular young people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people living in isolated rural communities.
An opportunity has emerged for a Specialist Domestic Violence and Generalist Solicitor for the Swan Hill office.
• To provide a high quality, free and accessible community legal service in the Murray Mallee region with 50% being domestic violence related advice and 50% being general community support.
• To empower and support Family violence victims as part of the communities in the resolution of general legal problems and stimulate a clearer understanding of the legal system.
• To provide advice and court representation to family violence victims as needed.
• To provide a "legal" case management approach to assist women and their children
• To provide legal advice and case work including the face to face client appointments and telephone call back appointments.
• To collect data and prepare reports.
• Have the ability and experience in court representation on legal matters, specifically in family violence and family law.
• Tertiary qualifications relevant to community welfare practice, i.e. Social Work, Psychology, Law, Social Science, with experience in counselling and family dispute resolution.
• Ability to perform a range of generalist legal services, including but not limited to Family Violence, Credit and Debt matters, Family Law, Civil Law, Welfare Rights, Children's Court matters, VOCAT and Criminal Law.
• Have a good commitment to social justice and law reform.
• Experience in providing legal services to disadvantage people, including but not limited to an ability to identify and understand issues affecting disadvantaged clients, such as Indigenous people and people from non-English speaking backgrounds.
• Proven written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work as a team player to accomplish goals within a multi-disciplinary team and within multiple agency and organisational sites.
• Ability to balance competing priorities.
• A current practicing certificate as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria (or other Australian jurisdiction) and a willingness to travel and preparedness to be accommodated overnight when required.
You will provide high quality, free and accessible community legal service which will empower and support communities in the resolution of complex legal problems. There is also an educational component to this role which is to provide community development and community education activities to raise awareness of family issues and the services that we offer. The role will be challenging, rewarding and varied and very hands-on.
If you are interested please address the above selection criteria and Apply on-line with MS Word CV or for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 9362 1859.
Applications accepted from now.